Department of Nuclear Energy and Nuclear Technologies
06 january 2021 / 00:00 73
Head of department
Toxtaokhunov Kosim Abdukhadirovich
Department goals and objectives:
The main goal of the Department is to ensure the development of nuclear energy as a safe, reliable, cost-effective and environmentally friendly source of electricity generation and a long-term development of the national nuclear infrastructure.
The main tasks of the Department are:
- strategic planning of nuclear power development in the Republic of Uzbekistan;
- management of the activities of the subordinate organization "Directorate for the Construction of a Nuclear Power Plant", in matters related to the responsibility of the operating organization in accordance with the legislation of the Republic of Uzbekistan and the IAEA standards;
- ensuring the competent selection of reference technologies, equipment and systems of the "nuclear island" for the first nuclear power plant and for prospective NPPs;
- ensuring the application of norms and rules of nuclear and radiation safety during the construction of NPP power units;
- ensuring an appropriate level of development of the national nuclear infrastructure at all stages of the nuclear power program in accordance with the IAEA standards.
In accordance with the assigned tasks, the Department independently or with the involvement of consultants, experts perform the following functions:
- In terms of strategic planning and organizational support for the development of nuclear energy in the Republic of Uzbekistan;
- develops state and industry programs in the field of nuclear energy development, carries out risk assessment and monitoring of their implementation;
- organizes a feasibility study of investments in nuclear power facilities;
- develops a comprehensive long-term strategy and provides consideration of options for the management of radioactive waste (including disposal) and spent nuclear fuel, as well as the decommissioning of a nuclear power plant.
- organizes and coordinates the activities for the safe operation of a nuclear power plant at all stages of the life cycle of a nuclear power plant;
- coordinates the issues of environmental protection;
- control over the proper competence of personnel;
- organizes and coordinates activities related to the safe management of spent nuclear fuel and radioactive waste.
- carries out justifications for the competent choice of reference technologies, equipment and systems of the "nuclear island" for nuclear power plants;
- checks the technical specifications of the equipment and systems of the nuclear power plant for compliance with the reference solutions, agrees the proposals and justifications of the general contractor on the replacement of equipment or systems with similar (or equivalent) equipment or systems;
- coordinates technical tasks and specifications of equipment and systems of the "nuclear island" of a nuclear power plant, participates in factory tests, incoming inspection and acceptance of the specified equipment and systems;
- coordinates technical tasks and specifications of long-cycle nuclear power plant equipment, participates in factory testing, incoming inspection and acceptance of the specified equipment;
- approves the manufacturer of equipment and systems of the "nuclear island";
- develops solutions and justifications for the use of new modifications of reference equipment.
- interacts with the specially authorized body of the state regulation of safety in the use of atomic energy on issues of nuclear and radiation safety;
- ensures the establishment of technical requirements for documents on the justification of safety in the use of nuclear energy;
- controls the updating of the analysis of the radiation impact on the environment performed by the subordinate operating organization;
- generates security requirements for inclusion in technical specifications and requirements for suppliers;
- monitors the implementation of measures and the development of documents in the field of emergency preparedness;
- monitors the implementation of measures and the development of documents in the field of spent nuclear fuel and radioactive waste management;
- controls the organization of dosimetric control in subordinate organizations;
- controls subordinate organizations in their accounting and control of nuclear materials and radioactive substances;
- In terms of ensuring an appropriate level of development of the national nuclear infrastructure at all stages of the nuclear energy program in accordance with the IAEA standards.
- plans and develops proposals to the leadership on the development of elements of the national nuclear infrastructure;
- interacts with state bodies of the Republic of Uzbekistan on the development of their competencies in the nuclear energy sector;
- develops, coordinates and monitors the implementation of plans to eliminate delays in the development of nuclear infrastructure from the target level characteristic of the specific moment of the main project;
- forms requirements for services and performers in the field of national nuclear infrastructure development.